• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • You already know Dokkio is an AI-powered assistant to organize & manage your digital files & messages. Very soon, Dokkio will support Outlook as well as One Drive. Check it out today!


Section 504

Page history last edited by Janna Dunagan 14 years, 10 months ago



Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act


“The Section 504 regulations require a school district to provide a "free appropriate public education" (FAPE) to each qualified student with a disability who is in the school district's jurisdiction, regardless of the nature or severity of the disability. Under Section 504, FAPE consists of the provision of regular or special education and related aids and services designed to meet the student's individual educational needs as adequately as the needs of nondisabled students are met (Office for Civil Rights).”


The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 directly relates to deaf and hard of hearing children in providing “provisions of axuilary aids (e.g. interpreters) (Easterbrooks, Baker, 2002, 29).”  This Act allows students with disabilities to participate in activities outside of the academic arena so long as it is school related.  The educational facility also must receive federal funding in order to have be required to comply with Section 504.

An example of how this would be used in the educational setting is as follows;


Hypothetically, a deaf student that attended a mainstream magnet program outside of his home school jurisdictions requests to participate in football at the magnet school.  The magnet program is not required to provide interpreting services for extracurricular activities (unless deemed necessary by the Individual Education Plan (IEP) team).  The student’s home school and district would be required to provide the accommodations for the student to participate in the sport or require the student to participate in the home school’s athletic program, where they would provide the accommodations requested.


The student and family must request a meeting with the home school and district level personnel to request that under Section 504, the accommodations be provided for the student to participate in the activity.  The home district can then decide if the student will receive the requested services.  This relates directly to Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) and the Public Law 94142 in providing the student the opportunity to meet the educational needs of that student parallel to their “non disabled” counterparts (Easterbrooks, Baker 2002, 29).


Section 504 has provided opportunities not only for deaf and hard of hearing students to receive interpreting services to participate in extracurricular activities, but also allows students with disabilities that do not have a direct impact on their educational capabilities to receive services needed to succeed with equal opportunities as their non disabled counterparts.


Easterbrooks, S. R., Baker, S. (2002).  Language learning in children who are deaf and hard of hearing: Multiple pathways. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon. 29.


Office for Civil Rights.  Protecting students with disabilities.  Retrieved on July 1, 2009 from http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html



Published by Janna Dunagan on July 1, 2009

 Educational Issues of Deaf Students          FrontPage




Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.